Birth to 3rd Grade Work Group
The Road Map Project’s Birth to 3rd Grade Work Group is charged with developing an action plan that will help our region reach the Road Map kindergarten readiness and 3rd grade reading targets. Currently, only 68% of 3rd grade students are reading at grade-level, a critical milestone for future academic success. Work group members represent early learning and K-12, and have a particular focus on building systems that create seamless P-3 experiences for the students and families in our region.
In 2012, the first version of the Birth to 3rd Grade Action Plan was completed. The work group will now shift focus to implementation plans for the strategies included in the action plan.
- Karen Howell-Clark (Co-chair), United Way of King County
- Julie Rolling (Co-chair), Puget Sound Educational Services District
- Linda DelGiudice, Kent School District
- Mary Fertakis, Washington State School Directors’ Association
- Cathy Garland, Children’s Home Society of Washington
- Sonja Griffin, City of Seattle
- Jodi Haavig, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Heidi Harris, Auburn School District
- Lauren Hipp, Thrive by Five
- Kimberly Kinzer, Seattle Public Schools
- Maureen Massey, Team Read
- Trise Moore, Federal Public Schools
- Bill Ptacek, King County Library System
- Deeann Puffert, Child Care Resources
- Jill Sells, Reach Out and Read
- Martha Teigen, Puget Sound Educational Service District
- Harla Tumbleson, SOAR
- Claire Wilson, Puget Sound Educational Service District
Birth to 3rd Grade Work Group meetings are currently only open to group members.
- Thursday, October 3, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Puget Sound Educational Service District, Nisqually Room
- December 3, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Puget Sound Educational Service District, Nisqually Room